Tuesday 12 April 2011

DUBLIN =)

Last weekend in March Roni (tudi Slovenka) and I went to Dublin.

In the morning I managed to wake up and catch the bus :). At the airport they decided to check my luggage which is always fun. Maybe more for me than them... Anyway...she - the checker (?) - saw my deodorant and decided I can't take it on the plane with me. (I'm pretty sure it was because it smelled really nice...and it was almost new!! She wanted it for herself... ;)). I told her that it wasn't liquid (although I know that gas is "liquid" as well...), showed her the ingredients... Nothing. So I asked her "Why??". Of course she didn't have an answer. She asked me "When you spray it, is it wet?". I said no. And then? Nothing again... Surprisingly apple (which has a lot of water in it) and chocolate with liquid filling weren't liquids. Luckily for me :).

The flight was really short! Almost just as long as I need in the middle of the night to get home by bus!


I will mostly post pictures...
Almost everywhere they have signs written in both languages. The English and the weird one (=Gaelic) ;).
Airport is only 30-minute bus drive away :). And we found our hostel really quickly. There we discovered that they up-grade-ed us to a 6-bed room (we booked a 12-bed dorm). And then...we were alone in the room! (The first night there were some people...but came very late and left early).

Dublin is really nice city. Cute. Small - you can walk around it. It almost looks like Amsterdam with all those narrow houses... And the river (Liffey)..

And here come the pictures :).

Chester Beatty library (which is NOT a library, but an interesting museum, gallery...), Dublin Castle (and the chappel?).


Some streets..


O'Connell Street - the main street in the city centre and is one of the widest streets in Europe. There are The Spire ("Spike"), 120m high landmark and the General Post Office (one of the last great public buildings of the Georgian era).
And there is tram going through the city cente. 
I mustn't forget to mention "The Hand", the famous monument ;).


Dubliners seem to love a great name...


In the evening we went to a pub to listen to some Irish music :). 


City of bridges:


On Sunday we went to the "East Dublin". East of centre, that is.


When we got almost to the sea (not really, heehh), someone gave us vouchers for "Dublin Eye" (I don't know how is it really called...and whether it has a name..). She said they (they were a family) won't need them. So we got to go there for free!! :))


From there we took the tram to the centre.
Fruit and vegetable market (was closed, looked like it was from Morocco), Christ Church Cathedral, The Four Courts, St Patrick's Cathedral (and the park infront of it):


Dublin doors:

On Monday, our last day, we went to Guinness storehouse. Because there's beer and there's Guinness ;). And GPs really used to prescribe Guinness!? 
I poured the perfect pint! :)




 Then we went to prison ;). Kilmainham Gaol. It looks really interesting. Like from a film. (anyone knows which film was filmed here?)


It was almost the end of the day...we walked back to the centre, pass all the bridges (from "West Dublin" to the centre)... We went to Phoenix park as well, but just for a short while, because we were getting tired.


Almost forgot about the Temple Bar, nice area...


And that was it. It was really nice trip!! :)
Oh, my way home from the airport was interesting too. Because the flight got delayed, I didn't catch the last tube, so I had to take 3 (!!) buses from the centre and a 5minute walk from one bus station to another, because the next bus didn't pass the 1st bus stop. I got home at 3am... Tired and ready to go to Uni next day...NOT, heheh :).

New posts coming...hopefully soon :).

And something to cheer at least someone up (yup, Elham, it's you! ;)), the weather forecast:



No comments:

Post a Comment